Wiz Khalifa & Your Girlfriend!

Complex: Between 4/20 and the release of Kush & Orange Juice, it seems like you must have had a great time last week. How did you spend the holiday?

Wiz Khalifa: I spent it in the studio, actually. I woke up in the morning, rolled like a foot long doob—I put like a quarter in it, like literally, and I smoked the whole thing on Ustream and it burned for like a whole hour and twenty minutes. After I did that, needless to say, I went and raided somebody’s fridge, [Laughs] and then went to the studio.



Complex: What did you eat?

Wiz Khalifa: Turkey burgers…I had some cheese eggs. I had some strawberries—cause I like fresh fruit and shit like that.



Complex: Did you cook the cheese eggs yourself or did you get somebody’s girlfriend to do it for you?

 Wiz Khalifa: I had somebody’s bitch cook those cheese eggs. [Laughs.]

Complex: You’ve said you don’t like smoking blunts. Why?
Wiz Khalifa: I don’t smoke any blunts. I used to smoke blunts, but when you smoke the quality of weed that we smoke, you want to taste all that weed. You don’t want the blunt to get in the way. Plus blunts are real bad for you. They make your body ache, you be coughing up brown shit. I need my voice. I don’t want to have blunt damage.

Complex: Good tip. For the people who don’t know, you’ve been in the game for a long time. What’s your writing process like and how has it changed over the years?

Wiz Khalifa: Really before I was on Prince of The City Vol. 1, and for a while after that, I would just hear a beat and go just write to it and just try to figure out a hook. I would write and just spit as hard as I could, which was cool for back then ’cause it really let people know that I was a good lyricist. Then after a while around like Star Power and Prince of the City Vol. 2, I started to really play with more melodies and singing and just trying to use different things, different swag. Just trying not to say stuff as hard, but be more about how I say it and then I kinda mixed those two [styles] together.
Now when I go in the studio I’ll hear a beat and really, I let the beat tell me whatever I want to talk about. I never really write my hooks, I just do those off the head like mixing melodies up. The singing style, that sort of developed itself cause at first I was kind of shy to sing because I didn’t think it was that tight. But people telling me that it was getting better and better. I kind of just stuck with the singing thing and now I’m at the point where I don’t write on paper anymore. I’ll just go in and I’ll lay like four bars and I’ll think about another four bars and come back and lay that, then put the hook together around that.


Complex: I read that you started rapping when you were really young with your Uncle. How old were you would you say?

Wiz Khalifa: I was in like…third grade! I was hella young. When I was younger I always knew that I wanted to rap or do something in front of people. I think it was more around the time where I was like 13 or 14 when I realized that I wanted to do this for real. That’s when I started to go hard.

Complex: Do you think that there was a point where you thought, “Alright maybe this won’t work out. Maybe I should go to school and do some other stuff”?

Wiz Khalifa: I never felt like the music wasn’t gonna work ’cause I always worked hard at it and it always panned out for me. Every year it got better and better and even when I graduated high school my dad wanted me to go to college so he was like, “You got certain goals, but if you don’t get there by this time then you have to go to school, but if you do, then you’re straight.” So I kind of passed that [school] up way before he even expected.


Complex: When you compare yourself to the other people on the XXL cover, do you feel you’ve accomplished more with less support than they have?

Wiz Khalifa: I think it’s fair to say that without that major push—just based off of a real grass root organic following—I’ve been able to sell out shows across the country. And not only just small markets, but huge markets like New York, Atlanta, Tallahassee, DC was sold out. When I left the label, I was better off really, because I knew how to market myself. It was just me making the music, making my videos, and doing what I do with my fashion thing and it really all came together. Man, it’s really all just a blessing. I got great fans who not only support on the internet and download music, but they made Deal or No Deal number one on iTunes, and they also buy tickets two weeks before the shows so I sell out the show before it even happens. That shit makes me look good to other people.

Complex: How long ago did you start working on Kush & Orange Juice?

Wiz Khalifa: November. Yeah that’s when I recorded the first song for it.

Complex: How much of it did you make while you were smoking kush and drinking orange juice?

Wiz Khalifa: [Laughs.] What?! Is that even a question?!

Complex: Do you notice a difference in your work when you record something high, versus being sober?

Wiz Khalifa: Well see, I’m one of those artist who’s fortunate enough to always be high. I haven’t not been high since like fuckin’ ninth grade. [Laughs.]


Complex: One of the things that’s noted by a lot of people is that you have an amazing ear for beats. What do you look for in a beat?

Wiz Khalifa: I think part of my process is if you listen to a CD and spin through it, you don’t have to listen very long to know if you like it. You don’t need to listen to more than 3 seconds to know that that’s what you fuck with. So that’s how I pick my beats. I grab a bunch of beats and as soon as I hear it, if I fuck with it, I jumping on it.

Complex: First instinct is always the best. Switching gears, how long have your parents known you smoked? And what was their reaction?

Wiz Khalifa: [Laughs.] My mom…
Arthur Pitt [Wiz's PR/Marketing guru] interupts: You better be careful with mentioning your mom, I just got in trouble the other day. [Laughs.]
Wiz Khalifa: [Laughs.] Nah, nah, nah, she’s cool, she aight, she like that shit. [Laughs.] My mom knew I was smoking when I was 15. No, actually she knew the first time I smoked when I was in 6th grade, so around 13. I got in trouble for it and I thought weed was bad for a minute, but then I started smoking everyday! [Laughs.] So when I was like 15 she found out. She wasn’t mad about it. She was just like, “If you gonna be smokin’ give me some, nigga!” [Laughs.]

Complex: So your mother smokes?

Wiz Khalifa: Oh hell yeah! That’s the only reason why I know about weed.

Complex: Have you smoked with her?

Wiz Khalifa: Um, yes. [Laughs.] I did. I will get my ass beat if I don’t smoke with her. [Laughs.]


Complex: You have really dedicated fans. What’s the craziest “Taylor Gang or…” statement that you’ve ever heard.

Wiz Khalifa: [Laughs.] Oh man, there be a lot of crazy ones. Somebody said “Taylor Gang or head butt a knife”. Somebody said “Taylor Gang or fall into the spiked well off Mortal Kombat.” Man, they be crazy dog! They be wild.

Complex: Why do you only rap about hooking up with other dudes’ girlfriends? You don’t mess with single girls?

Wiz Khalifa: Oh, man! This is the topic of the day! [Laughs.] I’m not like the other-guy-bitch-taker. I’m not going to go up and take anybody’s girl. I almost had to punch this dude in his mouth because he was like—first off I didn’t do nothing with her, but he was like, “Yeah, all my girl listens to is you, Wiz, and I’m pretty sure you’ve smoked with her and I love your music but I’m pretty pissed about it!” So I’m like, well, what do you want to do? Like why are you approaching me, dog? Don’t talk to me about it! Talk to her about it!
The truth of it is, these girls have boyfriends and they be out trying to act like they don’t have boyfriends, but they do! So like that’s just my own way of being like, you chicks think you’re slick. You’re coming to my hotel room and you’re staying here and you’re smoking this weed and you know you have a boyfriend.

Complex: So you’re the victim here? Shame on these women lying to you and taking advantage?

Wiz Khalifa: Yeah! Exactly! It’s no disrespect to the boyfriends. I’m just trying to let them know.

Complex: Ah so you’re really doing a service for your fellow man. You’re a philanthropist.

Wiz Khalifa: Exactly. These dudes’ girls are out here running wild and I’m just trying to let you know. I’m just giving you a heads up, like this is what a friend does, dog, you know? Your true homies let you know when your chick is running wild, man. [Laughs.]

Complex: Where do you see yourself a year from now?

Wiz Khalifa: Hopefully still building on what I’ve done up until now. I can’t see into the future though. Hopefully have more product, good music, more fans, but if not, I’m cool with the ones I have right now. [Laughs.]

Complex: What’s good with you and Currensy’s How Fly 2: The Movie?

Wiz Khalifa: Oh we’re doing that shit! Soon as I get time. There is no paper work or anything, but that’s a done deal. We have to do that within the next two years, just for the stoners!

4 comments:

TOXiC said...

Wiz is da man yo

Morgan said...

OMgee i loveee WIZ!!
he just performed at my skool last friday and he gave me a hug♥

http://storiesofadreamer.blogspot.com/

Ivy said...

Hah this dude is crazy
But a genius in music and weed for sure lol

Natalia said...

wow---very interesting interview!!

 
©2009 Planet Koda | by TNB | The Blog Full of Games